Can I Use An Acupressure Mat When Pregnant?
An acupressure mat is a tool derived from the concept of acupressure therapy or massages. These kinds of massages are generally safe for most pregnant women and may even be beneficial for them. However, using an acupressure mat is a different story.
The difference between acupressure massage and acupressure mats
An acupressure massage is known to stimulate muscles and meridian points located throughout the body. This process helps pregnant women feel relaxed, free of any tension, and may even alleviate common concerns that come up during pregnancy such as inflammation or back pain.
Granting they do not have any known complications, risk of preterm birth, or other specific guidelines from their OB and medical doctors, there are many expectant mothers who regularly enjoy a massage from trusted establishments.
So then why can’t they use acupressure mats?
We say trusted establishments since only trained therapists should be handling pregnant women. The reason behind this is that during pregnancy, there are certain meridian points that should not be activated. These points are commonly connected to the abdominal area, and are at risk of interfering with the pregnancy.
For this very same reason, acupressure mats are not advisable since this tool is designed to target multiple points at once – making it highly possible to accidentally trigger the wrong ones.
Risks of acupressure while pregnant
For expectant mothers who are adamant about using an acupressure mat, we highly suggest you speak with your doctor and also research on the forbidden points, or pressure points that should not be activated. Some risks of improperly performed acupressure therapy include:
- Pain and redness on pressure points
- Fatigue, insomnia, or trouble sleeping
- Nausea, dizziness, or faintness
Benefits pregnant women can get from acupressure massage
Expectant mothers understandably feel a lot of discomfort while their baby is growing. There are many shifts both physically and mentally, which can be exhausting and overwhelming. One of the things that many pregnant women find useful is an acupressure massage from highly trusted establishments with trained therapists. The multiple benefits they can enjoy from regular sessions include the following:
- Reduces swelling.
- Relieves headaches.
- Alleviates nausea and morning sickness.
- Soothes muscles and prevent cramps.
- Promotes deep sleep.
- Alleviates back and shoulder pain, which often happens due to the added weight.
- Helps with relaxation, releasing tension, and lessening stress.
- Helps with sore feet from walking with an extra load.
- Helps induce labor in special circumstances.
Who else should not use an acupressure mat?
As we have mentioned, these mats are generally safe but there are still some guidelines to adhere to. Aside from expectant mothers, those who should not utilize the acupressure mat and pillows are:
- Those with open wounds
- Those living with a metabolic condition
- Those with naturally thin skin
- Babies, toddlers, and small children under the age of 6
- Those with either high or low blood pressure should first consult a medical professional
Still looking for a mat? Check this out: Acupressure Mat